I have been incorporating more whole grain goodness into my menu. As a member of WW (formally known as Weight Watchers), one group of my zero points foods includes quinoa. I haven’t used it much but after trying it in this recipe, it will make its way to our plates more often. It lends itself to taking on delicious flavors and the health benefits make it a winning choice for anyone’s table.
I did have one thought after making this dish. It would be fun to keep some of the pepperoni whole and place on top of the cheese for more of a pizza look. Feel free to change any of the meat or vegetable ingredients to make it your own. Recipes are mere suggestions of what could be and can always be improved on. Let me know what you decide. My favorite pizza is mushroom and onion with no meat at all. I may give that a try next time. Enjoy!
Quinoa Pizza Skillet
Four to Six Servings
- 1 ½ cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- 2 Italian sausage links
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4-6 ounces pepperoni slices, cut into quarters
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5-ounce diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a medium bowl, cover quinoa with cool water. With your fingers, give the quinoa a swish of two. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add the olive to the skillet and then onions, bell pepper, and sausage. Cook until sausage is browned, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook another minute more, allowing the yummy smell of garlic and herbs to be released.
- Add pepperoni, rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, tomatoes, and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Add spinach to quinoa mixture a handful at a time and allow to wilt.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the mixture and broil until cheese melts and browns slightly, 1-2 minutes.