Need something satisfying and easy for a weeknight supper. This will do the trick. I have made this for years, and it always pleases. It is a great dish to serve to company, take to a party, or share with a friend who is need of a meal. I have included the changes to make it Weight Watcher friendly.
Easy Cheesy Lasagna
• 1/2 pound Italian Sausage *See note
• 2 cups pasta sauce, I used Classico Tomato & Basil
• 5 no-boil lasagna pasta sheets
• 2 cups cottage cheese, I used nonfat. Ricotta can be used if you prefer
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, I used nonfat
1. In a medium saucepan, cook sausage. Add pasta sauce and heat.
2. In a medium bowl combine cottage cheese, egg, basil, and parmesan cheese.
1. Spread ½ cup of sauce in bottom of 6×9 inch casserole.
2. Place one pasta sheet in middle. Don’t worry. Sheets expand during the cooking process.
3. Spread about ½ cup of cottage cheese mixture on sheet.
4. Top with about ½ cup sauce, sprinkle with ¼ cup of mozzarella.
5. Top with another pasta sheet, cottage cheese mixture, and mozzarella. No sauce in this layer.
6. Repeat layer 1 and 2.
7. Top with remaining pasta sheet, sauce, and ¼ cup of mozzarella. If using nonfat mozzarella, lightly spray with cooking spray. This will help the cheese melt.
8. Tightly cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
9. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Life is a combination of magic and pasta.Frederico Fellini
*Weight Watchers on Freestyle: I make my own Italian sausage by adding Italian sausage seasonings to ground chicken breast. See recipe here. I add 1 pound of it to this recipe to increase the protein and flavor. If you use this method, your lasagna will be 8 Smart Points. If making your own sausage seems like too much I would suggest using ½ pound turkey Italian sausage for 2 extra Smart Points per serving. It would also be quite tasty without the sausage if you prefer. Enjoy!