One afternoon last week when my grandkids were visiting, we all got a craving for something sweet. I decided to try a cake mix cookie recipe with the help of seven-year-old Josiah. The Iced Lemon Cookies we produced turned out to be super easy as well as delicious. I did a little bit more research and found that there are hundreds of ways to use a cake mix and a few additional ingredients to create some pretty yummy desserts that you can whip up in no time to share with family and friends. For this post I have included the cookies Josiah and I made. Watch for some more in the coming weeks.
Iced Lemon Cookies
Makes 5 dozen cookies
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cake mix, butter, shortening, and egg in mixer bowl. Blend on medium speed for 1 minute until incorporated. This will result in a thick dough.
- Roll cookies into 1-inch balls and place on cookie lined with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper, an ungreased cookie sheet will do.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until the center is just set. Cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet, then remove cookies with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl with a wooden spoon until smooth. Drizzle or spread over cooled cookies.