Last week, Baby J and I were invited to a mini retreat in our nearby mountains. My friend, Jan, won a beautiful vacation rental in Big Bear City in a silent auction and decided to treat a few of her friends to a getaway. I am so glad I got to be part of the group. We had no set schedule, just lots of time to relax. We chatted, we cooked, we ate. We discussed matters of the world and matters of the heart. I came away feeling rejuvenated and more myself than I have in a very long time. Surprising, what a little good company, good food, and good conversation can do.
One of my contributions to yumminess of our little escape were brownies. They were a hit. I picked this recipe because I had all the ingredients in my fridge and pantry. Many recipes these days call for semi or bitter-sweet chocolate. I had none but I did have unsweetened cocoa. That recipe made the most delicious, fudgy brownie. I thought I would share the recipe with you. Enjoy!
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
You can also add:
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, cocoa, and salt until combined. Allow to cool.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time, and beat until well mixed.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture to batter. Mix well to combine.
- If using chocolate chips or nuts, fold them into the batter.
- Pour in pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with some moist crumbs attached.
- Cool, remove from pan, cut into squares, and enjoy.
This quote made me laugh. I think it’s a bit true about me, too.
I just love to bake chocolate cakes and anything unhealthy. It makes me very popular.Helena Mattsson