I have been trying to edge our way towards a bit more plant-based eating a few days a week. (Yes, another new habit.) We do not really desire to be fully vegan or even vegetarian. We are equal opportunity eaters. Lol! We love to eat foods of all types. We especially love when we are invited in for a meal so I never want to have any self-imposed barriers that would prevent us from enjoy someone else’s cooking. But I do believe we are healthier when eating a variety of foods and plant-based is part of that.
When I’m cooking, it’s important to me that we take a whole foods approach to our diet using foods close to their original form, so I try to use beans as the protein in many dishes. Here’s a recipe we tried recently that we really enjoyed. I hope you will too.
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Enchiladas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 14.5-ounce can roasted corn kernels, drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese, use plant-based if you want a vegan dish
- 4 large corn or flour tortillas
- ½ large lime, juiced
- 8-ounce red or green enchilada sauce
- avocado, for serving
- salt and pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add one tablespoon of oil. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper plus 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Sauté for 6-8 minutes and until onion becomes translucent. Add cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder—Cook 1 minute more to release the fragrance of the spices.
- Stir in roasted corn, black beans, cream cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll 1/4 filling into each tortilla, place in a baking dish, and cover with enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until sauce is bubbly and cheese Is melted and develops if your crispy places on top.
- Serve topped with a bit more lime juice and avocado slices.
It’s not about eating heathy to lose weight. It’s about eating healthy to feel good.Demi Lovato